Theme

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Artificial Colors and Kids

Fake Stuff, Fussy Butts.

Within the last year, I've seen Grayson developmentally grow like crazy. He's a problem solver, a builder, and artist, and every other thing that obsessed parents swear that their kids are. Along with these amazing things, I noticed he was also getting more moody, and challenging behaviorally. He was throwing more tantrums.. Crying a lot.. Hyperactive in every sense of the word. Ok, I understand he's a toddler, and toddlers are naughty.. I know. But, this was weird, and not bad every day like you would think it to be. I started doing research and found a lot out about artificial colors! Giving children artificial colors, which are in A LOT of things, may be linked to childhood ADHD and other behavioral issues! Here are some articles, if you're interested:

This one is from WebMD
This one is from a fellow blogger who has references
Here is a cool video with a transcript from a doctor

Any ways, after doing my research, I conducted my own experiment... I took all of the artificial colors out of his diet for a little while.. Needless to say, there was a DRASTIC improvement! He listened better, he acted better, and he just seemed... Happier. Now, he was never drinking sodas or anything.. But he used to have sugar free Jello (he doesn't get sugar free anything anymore, for reasons I will post about later..) and Kraft Mac and Cheese, and other things like that which are packed with artificial colors... I am a firm believer in taking artificial colors away from kids, at least mine, because I've witnessed it work first hand in my own life. I suggest if your child is hyper, or seems to be more naughty than nice, try changing his diet before thinking about taking him to the doctor and medicating them.. Just my two cents. =)


Much love,

Ashley







No comments:

Post a Comment