Theme

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Baby Teething Relief!


Who Needs Teeth, Anyway?

Everyone goes through teething in their lives at some point or another.. But we don't remember it by the time we go through it again with our own children. When my son went through the teething process, he went through it four times.. One of these times my special boy got all eight of his molars (including his 2.5-3 year old molars) at 18 months.. That was a great time, let me tell you (not.).

My son didn't teethe as often as the average child, but when he did, he teethed HARD. So, I have here a list of remedies that I've found worked the best on Grayson, and other options that I've found or have heard about! I'm not a big fan of Tylenol or Ibuprofen for teething..... I don't even like giving them to my son when he's running a fever. So, that being said, most of these options are organic, homeopathic, and awesome. =)

1) Green Onion
     
Green onion has a natural numbing agent to it. Just let your child gnaw on it for a little bit, and it will numb their gums. If the child is too small to chew or gnaw on it, or you're just worried, you can scrape a little of the outside with your fingernail, and then rub it on their gums yourself.

2) Ice Cubes

Ice cubes have been used for teething relief for ever. I'm exaggerating, of course... But it's been a really long time! It can be messy, though. I didn't mind the messiness of it, because it's just water after all. I also had one of these things:

Photo Source
These are made by Sassy, and can be purchased at Target, Walmart, and Babies R Us. I bought mine online, and I had a few of them. You can find them here and you can also get replacement mesh parts that you can find here. They are dishwasher safe, and they come with an ice pack type of device built in, which is great if you want to put frozen fruits in there, as well. (My son's favorite was frozen peaches). 

3) Humphrey's Teething Tablets

My favorite and most effective teething tablet for my son was Humphrey's Teething Pellets. They are 100% all natural, and easy to use. Just take a spoon with a few drops of water and let the pellets dissolve. Then give it to your child, making sure that it's rubbed into the gums. These also seemed to relax my son, which made him much happier. 

Photo Source
I've heard from a couple of people that they are getting harder to find.. I found mine at Walgreen's, but if you can't find this brand, Hyland's also makes a homeopathic version, as well.

4) Teething Rings


Who hasn't heard of teething rings at this point? They make some amazing ones now! My favorite by far, and my son's as well, was the vibrating berry teethers by Infantino. We had several, and they were awesome. Here is a picture of the grape one. 
Photo Source
I got mine at Toys R Us, but I've seen them at Walmart an Target stores, as well.

My son did really well with teething, and a I only gave him a pain reliever one time (but it turned out he had an infection, which was the cause of the fever, not the teething.) I feel like there are so many ways to help to combat the pain, giving my child a medicated pain reliever just wasn't something that I wanted to do. That's not to say that other parents wouldn't need it for their own child, it just wasn't for us.

I hope this helps! I'm in by no means an expert... But I just wanted to write about what worked for me.


Much love,


Ashley






No comments:

Post a Comment