Theme

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Children... Small Humans..? Erm.. Offspring..




Kids.

Parenthood was a great surprise to me. My little surprise has taught me a lot over the last two years. Parenthood has also shown me that those things you thought you'd never have to say to anyone, or those words you'd never think you'd use in the same sentence, become part of your basic vocabulary and you may say those things multiple times in one day.

"Please stop licking my face."

"Honey come here, let me get your boogers out."

"No, don't play with the dog's butt! That's icky!"

"Big boys don't put cookies down their pants." 
My son eating a wrapping paper roll...

...well, you get the idea.

Children are little beings of absolute unpredictableness. Your job as a parent I've learned is to not expect the unexpected, because if we are being honest, you just can't. People can say that all day long and it will always mean the same thing - nothing. Raising a child is not about expecting what could happen, but rather preparing yourself for what you know WILL happen. Kids are destructive. That's just how they are. You KNOW that they will hurt themselves, even if you don't want them to. You KNOW they will break things that they aren't supposed to. And you KNOW that they will drink way more juice than they should, even after you told them not to, then eat a fatty hot dog too quickly, and then get in a hot car and throw up all over the back seat while you're on vacation in Las Vegas, causing you to have to spend the rest of that day in the hotel disassembling the car seat, and washing every piece, and watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. You just KNOW. And if you didn't know, you do now. It. Will. Happen.


Kids also get sick. It isn't your fault that they get sick, because it happens. People in nature can't stay inside and reclusive forever, as much as I'd like to... I mean... "we'd" like to... So germs are spread, colds are caught, and temperatures rise. It's part of nature. But, as a new parent, that first cold is that most sad thing ever, and your heart breaks.



Kids bring a new perspective on life out of us, and it changes us. We can't help this change. But it's a great change. The trying to figure out this whole "parenting" thing as you go along? Ya, not so much.

I cannot even begin to go into what I've learned from parenting in one post, so I will have to go one-by-one as they come to mind. =)


-Ashley


No comments:

Post a Comment