Theme

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Coconut Shrimp (Yummy!!) Also, FOOL PROOF.




Coconut.

Coconut is by far one of my favorite things to eat - ever. Almond Joys. Coconut cake. Coconut shrimp. Coconut chicken... You name it.. I love it.

I found a recipe a while ago for coconut shrimp.. But I have altered it quite a bit to my own tastes... This recipe said mix panko and coconut for the outside... I say, "NO! The more coconut, the better!" Also, I thought it very important to spice it in some way... So in the corn starch, it is important to put in paprika  salt, and pepper to taste.

Unfortunately, I don't really follow a recipe anymore... So, I had to really pay attention to what I was doing this time, and take notes.

NOTE: You can also BAKE these in the oven instead of frying.

Here's what you'll need:

NOTE: Clean up is easier with throw-away plates/bowls
1 Bag Jumbo Frozen COOKED Shrimp Tail-on (uncooked if you plan to bake)
1 Bag Sweetened Coconut, shredded
Corn Starch - the amount needed varies with the humidity
2 Eggs - you're only going to use the whites
Salt & Pepper, to taste
Paprika - to taste
Oil - if you're going to be frying

Strainer
Bowl bigger than your strainer
1 paper plate
3 paper bowls


Ok, let's start. Take your frozen shrimp and put them in a strainer, and then the strainer into the bowl. Put your bowl in you're newly cleaned sink if you've seen my other post, Cleaning with Vinegar - Part One. Turn on your water to cold, and just let it run over the shrimp while you prep for your next step... I'm a poet.. ;)


Set up your three bowls side-by-side, like this:


In your middle bowl, crack your eggs and separate the egg yolks from the egg whites. We just want the egg whites because they are more suited to help to adhere to the cornstarch. To separate your egg whites, carefully crack your egg in two, and start passing your yolk back and forth from shell half to shell half. Go as slowly as you need. Also, if you just put the whole thing in the bowl, you can suck the yolk out with a water bottle. No joke..... I mean, noyolk. ;)

Mix the yolk until it's nice and frothy...

Then take the shrimp out of the running water, (you thought I forgot..) and put them on paper towel to dry them. 


Mmmm. So yummy!

While they drip-dry, put your coconut in the last bowl, and the cornstarch in the first bowl. In the corn starch (about 1 cup), add your paprika, salt, and pepper. about 1/4 teaspoon of each.. You can tell when it looks like this:


Now, this part takes a little while to do. Take each shrimp and dip it in the corn starch mixture, then in the egg whites, then into the coconut, and into your fryer basket, or onto a plate. I would start the deep fryer to the setting for your preferred oil that you're using.. I use Mazola. So I set mine to 375.

They will look like this when you're done. 



Now lets cook them! If you're using a fryer, or a pan, and frying them, I highly recommend that you use already cooked shrimp. That way you're only waiting for the coconut to brown and nothing more.. It add less stress and answers the question, "Is it done yet?"

For me, it takes about 2 minutes.

When it's brown, it's done. =)

They should look like this. =)

NOTE: I only used half of my bag because it was just me and my two year old

Yummy! You can eat them alone or with something else... Or you can dip them in a pineapple or spicy sauce... I eat them by themselves and I love them. =)

Any questions or concerns, please leave a comment! Thanks!

-Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment