Theme

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Kids. Break. Things.

Photo Source
Kids.



They break things.

Anything and everything. They break it. "Oh, this isn't breakable, there's not much that could possible break on it." FALSE. They. Will. Find. A. Way. Period.

Now, if you're a new parent to a bubbling little baby who is not yet mobile, first off, CONGRATS because parenthood is amazing... But I'm going to be honest, and that is why I'm doing this blog.. I'm here to help you not scare you, and to vent slightly, but mostly to help. ;)

Water bottles. Trash cans.  Drawers. Vases. Hampers. Handles. Tupperware. Earrings. Shampoo bottles. Cabinet doors. Toilets. 

Some of the things that I've listed, I'm sure you're thinking (unless you're a parent of a toddler or up), "There's no possible way for a baby to break that.."

They can.

And they will.

Heck. The first day we moved in with my sister-in-law, my son made his way from being inside the bathroom with me (parents don't pee alone..), to being all the way out in the front room, with a blue vase in hand... I yelled. He dropped. It broke. Chaos ensued. At that point, "Mommy Mode" kicked in. I run, grab the baby before he could take a step and hurt himself, and stuck him away. And then clean up happened. Swept twice, mopped once. Gosh, I think that took me about three or four minutes - total - to do. Because at this point in time, I have a two year old, and I'm a seasoned pro.

I would also like to point out the no one bothered to tell me that although baby boys are "easier" (debatable in every sense of the word) they do not stop moving. Never ever. Never. They may not be as "emotional" (debatable.. my son is one of the most emotional kids I know) or have as much of an "attitude" as girls (highly debatable, as well *sigh*...), they are quite destructive. This doesn't go for just their stuff. Or your stuff. Or any stuff that they might ever come in contact with ever... But they are also destructive to themselves. They get hurt. As a matter of fact, my son took a chin dive to the tile not even 3 hours ago. Busted open his chin (he's fine). He is always going. Always. Always. But, that's also what I love about him. His energy is amazing, and his Ora is brilliant all the time.

Those things that I've listed above, my son has managed to break at some point in his short life. I see many of my parent friends on my Facebook newsfeed talking about how their child keeps taking their prized porcelain figurine off of the shelf it goes on and they are afraid some day that they will break it (made up, but I need a fictional scenario because this happens often and I don't want to call anyone out obviously...). Um. Ok. In my opinion, it is MUCH easier on everyone to just remove those precious items from hand reach until your while is able to understand the word "no" and listens to you. Just remove those things from the equation. I promise you that you will be able to relax much easier knowing that you don't have to worry about those items being destroyed.

Kids are destructive. You need to expect for things to be broken. It's a part of life, and NOT a big deal. Things can be replaced, I swear. And if they are not replaceable (I get that.. I have a lot of my parents things that are absolutely not replaceable..) then please do yourself a favor and put them somewhere safe until your child is old enough to understand. And if you have a dog, you'll just never get to see that item again... lol! ;)

-Ashley


No comments:

Post a Comment