Theme

Monday, February 18, 2013

Find Time For "YOU"

Parents:

I look at this title, and I just laugh... ME time.. What a crock.. Every time I'm alone, I'm thinking about my child any way, so what's the point??

I think that is the point.. Being able to be fond of your child... Or children. For me, I only have one... I don't work... I go to school, but it's online... So I don't leave the house much, unless it's grocery shopping.

Before September 2012, I lived completely away from family and friends... from the time my son was three months old until September 2012... (one entire year) I was away from my child for a total of 4.5 days.. To put that into perspective, three of those days were a whole weekend for a wedding in Las Vegas for my niece, (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) and he spent the night at my niece's house a few times totaling up to a day and a half or so..... I'm not putting this on here to play pity party... I'm writing this to tell you that I UNDERSTAND and you can trust what I'm saying because I get it.. I know people have got to have it even worse than I do. But right now, we're focusing on me... ;)

Finding time for yourself doesn't necessarily mean that you have to be completely away from your child... I liked to re energize during my son's naps....  Or even during bath time.. Although I'm still in the bathroom with him, I'm usually cleaning something... Or like this moment in time.. Blogging.

You might not consider that "you" time.. But think about it... They are contained  playing, and happy... Aside from the occasional speckles of water that you have to wipe away from your computer screen, they aren't harming anything, themselves, or others.. That's a vacation.. That's a rest for your mind. You obviously cannot completely zone out during bath time because there are dangers... But for those 15-20 minutes you don't have to get up and chase them, make sure that they aren't in the trash can, getting your small dog out of harms way.. It's just... Nice.

I have started leaving my child behind for big shopping trips, as he's now two and has tantrums.. A lot.. So, for everyone's best interest in mind, I leave him with my sister for an hour and take care of business. That is also what I consider "me" time. When I get back, I'm not frustrated.. I'm calm.. And I miss him which is good for both of us. (He's also forgotten at this point that I wouldn't let him have a cookie earlier, and thus, has forgiven me.. ;] )

I'm convinced that "me" time isn't about it just being you but more about de-stressing and relaxing..

I've become fond of an Apple app called Hay Day... I play that multiple times throughout the day... It gives me something for me rather than watching Jake and the Neverland Pirates or Mickey Mouse Clubhouse all day long and playing cars... (That is most of my day... Plus the occasional kitchen time to feed the monster...)

Even something like knitting can be very stress relieving.. Find something easy that you like to do, and do it. Even if you're child plays by themselves for five minutes, it's ok. They will live, I promise.. =)


-Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment