Theme

Sunday, February 3, 2013

DIY Mickey Mouse Centerpieces

Kids.
NOTE: Don't mind my bandaged hand.. Burned myself that day... Because, I'm awesome..

They like cartoons. And, they often find themselves infatuated with a certain favorite character during any point in their life.... For my son right now, he is in love with Mickey Mouse. It only seemed fitting that when his second birthday came around, a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse party was in order.


These are the centerpieces that I created for the special occasion. I bought a case of those mini half-sized Pringles at Sam's Club before the planning began, and I decided there just MUST be something I could do with the empty cans. 


I started with the Styrofoam balls.. I found them at Joann's, and they came in a package 6 and a package of 12. PERFECT. I also picked up some cheap spray paint at Walmart.... But, it didn't work out so well..

The Styrofoam melted. Yes, that's right... MELTED. So, I was automatically down to 5 center pieces.

Near the Styrofoam, there should be some type of painting options for it. Make sure it's craft paint, and read the back to make sure you can use it on Styrofoam. I used Simply Spray black project paint. It was about $5, but it covers very well, and I still have half a can left for other projects.
I used toothpicks to hold the ears on, and that was it. I put them on only half way until I sprayed them and let them dry. That way there were no white spots left.


I went to the store and bought some pinto beans to use as filler... "We're splitting the scene, we're full of beans..." (From the Hot Dog song..)

Well, my center pieces are ALSO full of beans!




To cover the can, I just bought one large piece of red card stock. I marked it and cut them to fit, then I hot glued them on the Pringles cans. They looked a little boring, so I put the Mickey Mouse swirls on it, and did a little design along the bottom of the can, as well as finding these super cute holographic Mickey Mouse Clubhouse stickers at the Dollar Tree... Stuck them on there, too!



I created these stars by stamping out the craft foam sheets with fondant cutters. They stamped the shape I needed perfectly enough to see the lines I needed to cut without having to draw all the stars out by hand. (I'm lazy..) There were three small stars and three large stars per each centerpiece. I used three different sized colors. The large stars were red and yellow, and the smaller ones were blue and white. The blue stars and the red stars are the same size. I just out all the pieces and then hot glued them together. 


For the wire, I picked it up at Home Depot for about $3. I only used one roll. The larger stars have longer swirls (about 10in) and the smaller stars had shorter wires.. (about 8in)

Then I wrapped them around a whisk to curl them. But, you could just use anything you have that is round and long and cylindrical. Broom stick, mop, dowel.. Anything you've got.


I used a metal skewer to poke holes in the Pringles can lid to ensure that the beans stayed put if it fell over, as well as making sure that the stars stayed where I wanted them to.

Then I twisted the stars into the base. And voila! Mickey Mouse Centerpieces. They were a big hit at the party. I was very proud of them.

I have other Mickey Mouse Party decorations that I did for the party that I will post a little later.

Thanks for reading! Any tips, tricks, comments or concerns, leave me a comment and I can get back to you. =)

-Ashley


No comments:

Post a Comment