Theme

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Hospital Bag - My Personal Choices

Hospitals.
Photo Source

I was very familiar with them already, prior to having a child. However, I never planned to be at a hospital months before it happened, it was usually a spur of the moment thing, and I was only there over night, or a couple of nights.

When I had my son, I guessed on what I needed. Boy, was I wrong. I had my poor husband going back and forth from the house to the hospital multiple times because of things I had forgotten or didn't realize I needed.

(NOTE: In all fairness, we didn't go to the hospital that night to have a baby.. We went because my eyes were blurry and I was light headed.. Preeclampsia.. So, I was ill prepared and preparing my bag that day as a matter of fact, because my due date was about 4 days away. So... Yes, excuses lol)

So, here is a list of things that I had/wished I had while I was at the hospital... By the way, there were complications with my delivery.. Well the recovery from it... So I was there for four days I believe.

FOR YOU: (please keep in mind you may be getting blood all over)

1) Insurance papers! - Usually, they have you come in ahead of time, and fill out everything so there's no stress about it later.. But sometimes that isn't the case.

2) Chapstick - I had the worst chapped lips in the hospital.

3) Your favorite lotion - Again, it was very dry...

4) Hair ties - (LOTS!)

5) Make up - Just the very basic ones.. Mascara, blush, foundation... Many hospitals offer new born photos, and having these there will make the experience a little better for you, even if you decide not to use them.

6) Dry shampoo - They give you the option to shower... But I didn't because I was scared it would hurt, and I didn't have anyone with me usually to help with the baby.

7) Camera & Cell phone - AND THEIR CHARGERS!

8) Snacks - Meals seem very scarce in the hospital, especially if you're not used to being awake most of the day and night.. with only a few hours of sleep at a time.

9) Water Bottles - The hospital give you water, but if you were like me, you were drinking a lot, and sometimes they take a while to refill the jug.. Especially with all the screaming women in labor.. Better safe than sorry!

10) Toiletries - Deodorant  preferred soaps, shampoo, conditioner.. Tooth brush, tooth paste.. Hair spray or mousse to keep your hair controlled.. Floss, lotion, etc.

11) Socks or Slippers - non skid.

12) Big shirts and sweats - Remember, they will probably get gross. I bought new ones in packages before hand, and just took the whole pack. Couple of sweats and a package of XL tshirts.

NOTE: I didn't really wear any pants.. My uterus wouldn't contract, so I bled blood clots for almost two days before they REINDUCED me.. This time with no meds... >< Felt like labor all over again to try and get my uterus to react correctly.

13) Pen and Paper - You'll want to write down some thoughts and journal in the hospital. It's a very surreal time.

FOR BABY:

1) A couple receiving blankets - You'll get one from the hospital (which I still have my son's..) but you'll want a couple more. You'll find reasons for them. Trust me.

2) Onesies - I WISH I had these.. I didn't have any clothes for my son, besides the outfit to go home in.. And he would spit up on the ones the hospital provided, and they would take FOREVER to get a clean one... So, use the hospital ones, and bring your own for back up.

3) A going home outfit.

4) A cute outfit for pictures.

5) For little girls: Cute head bands, if you choose.

6) Little Hats - For the hospital and the ride home.

7) A heavier blanket - for the car ride home to help protect from the sun and possible cold.

8) Your carseat - For obvious reason, the hospital won't let you leave without one. Make sure you put it together ahead of time, and it's approved!

That's it! If there's anything else you can think of, please let me know in the comments so I can add it to the list! Thanks for reading!

-Ashley


No comments:

Post a Comment